Registration is not needed, you simply sign in with your Steam account.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
    Radio Frequency 87.8
    Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.
TikTac'tical

.338 Lapua Magnum

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've had this idea of a weapon addition to DayZ for a fairly long time. I'm trying to think ahead and how vehicles, and player-build structures, will be a fairly large part of average gameplay in the later stages of DayZ's development. With this in mind - and having experience from the early days of the DayZ: MOD - I've been wanting a gun that is strong enough to work as a "anti-material" rifle, yet not being as powerful as a .50 BMG. The reason I don't want it to be as powerful as a .50 BMG is that it would simply one-shot players, which I think is a bit over the top. I have already experienced this from the DayZ: MOD with the M107 & AS50 semi-automatic .50 BMG sniper rifles, but what they did have, was the ability to disable vehicles!

Currently the largest, and most powerful round you can find in DayZ, is the 7.62x54mmR fired out of the Mosin and SVD, this round - while being very powerful indeed - isn't quite up in the ranks of "anti-material" capabilities, and will most likely never be an effective round against light-armored vehicles. To cope with this problem I thought it would be good to use "the middle man" between the VERY powerful .50 BMG's, and the powerful .308 (7.62x51mm NATO, which is used in the Winchester and Blaze in the game) or the 7.62x54mmR (Mosin/SVD), which would be a weapon firing the .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge.

I present to you; the Armalite AR-30A1:

download.thumb.jpg.7804bc218acd411af44fd1fe95d8ff70.jpg

Here's a few stats about the weapon itself:

• Weapon type: Sniper rifle
  • Caliber: .338 Lapua Magnum (or 8.58x71mm)
  • Weight: 6.9kg (no attachments)
  • Cyclic rate: Bolt-action
  • Magazine capacity: 5-round box magazine

As you can see on the above bullet points, the rifle itself is a sniper rifle, and is a bolt-action rifle, which I think is quite important for a weapon of this caliber. I believe that a weapon firing this caliber in DayZ, should be bolt-action, to stop people from being able to use it effectively against other players in close-quarter combat, because of it's low firing-rate, and therefore make it a very special-purpose rifle in the game. That being extreme long range sniping, or anti-material purposes (i.e disabling vehicles etc.). The weapon should be extremely rare and only spawn on NATO helicopter crash-sites, and the same goes for the ammo that goes with the weapon.

I would like to compare 3 of these cartridges, to give you an idea of the differences between the performance of these 3 rounds:

The first cartridge I will be giving a few stats on is the one we already have in DayZ, the round that is fired from the Winchester & Blaze, also known as .308 Winchester (7.62x51mm NATO):

.50 BMG (12.7x99mm NATO)                                     

• Muzzle velocity: 882m/s50.thumb.jpg.91d3eb6ee22b6cc9c4f24bba376ba9a2.jpg
  • Bullet mass: 52g
  • Energy: 20,195J

.338 Lapua Magnum (8.58x71mm)

• Muzzle velocity: 837m/s                                                                        Shown in order  ------>
  • Bullet mass: 19.44g
  • Energy: 6,810J

.308 (7.62x51mm NATO)

• Muzzle velocity: 833m/s
  • Bullet mass: 10g
  • Energy: 3,304J

As you can see the velocity of the different bullets is relatively close, but the big differences lies in bullet mass and energy that it therefore has. As you can see the bullet mass of the .308 Winchester is 10g where's the .338's bullet mass is nearly doubled, that also gives the bullet just about twice the energy to deliver to the target. I'm sure you all can imagine how powerful the Winchester is in DayZ. Well imagine a gun that has twice the power of that. That's where the .338 fits into the game really well. It's a great round to have in the game without making it ridiculously powerful like the .50 BMG. The .50 BMG is over 6x as powerful as the .308 we know from the game, that is just way too much if you ask me. 

This concludes my little "showcase/idea" of a new weapon addition to the game. Now I'm not saying that I think it should be that exact weapon, but it should be: .338 Lapua Magnum, bolt-action, small magazine, because of the reasons stated earlier in the post. That's what I think anyway. Tell me what you guys think! :)

-TikTac'

Edited by TikTac'tical

I can totally see why this rifle/cartrige-type would be a great addition to the game.
And why the .50 BMG would be too ridiculous. :D

You're making some good points there which make it very reasonable.

And yes, I agree that it should be very rare.
And that the most powerful rifle/cartrige-type in the game should be a bolt-action type.

Very good idea!